- 1 How do you use a thermometer?
- 2 How do you measure temperature in science?
- 3 What is a temperature in science?
- 4 What is the basic principle of a thermometer?
- 5 Who uses thermometer?
- 6 How do I know I have a fever without thermometer?
- 7 Which type of thermometer is most accurate?
- 8 Which metal is used in thermometer?
- 9 Which material is used in laboratory thermometer?
- 10 Why can’t we use a laboratory thermometer to measure body temperature?
- 11 What is range of normal body temp?
- 12 What are the 4 types of temperature?
- 13 What are the two types of temperature?
How do you use a thermometer?
Place the protective cover on the tip of the thermometer. Gently insert the thermometer until the ear canal is fully sealed off. Press and hold down the button for 1-2 seconds until you hear a beep (follow the manufacturer’s instructions). Remove the thermometer, discard the cover, and record temperature and time.
How do you measure temperature in science?
Temperature is measured with thermometers, which are devices that use the expansion of a substance to give an indirect measure of temperature. The units that are used to measure temperature are called degrees.
What is a temperature in science?
Temperature is the measure of hotness or coldness expressed in terms of any of several scales, including Fahrenheit and Celsius. Temperature indicates the direction in which heat energy will spontaneously flow—i.e., from a hotter body (one at a higher temperature) to a colder body (one at a lower temperature).
What is the basic principle of a thermometer?
These liquid thermometers are based on the principal of thermal expansion. When a substance gets hotter, it expands to a greater volume. Nearly all substances exhibit this behavior of thermal expansion. It is the basis of the design and operation of thermometers.
Who uses thermometer?
Meteorologists use thermometers to find out how hot it is or if it’s below freezing. Doctors use thermometers to check your body temperature — a very high or low body temperature means you’re sick.
How do I know I have a fever without thermometer?
Checking for a fever without a thermometer
- Touching the forehead. Touching a person’s forehead with the back of the hand is a common method of telling whether or not they have a fever.
- Pinching the hand.
- Looking for flushing in the cheeks.
- Checking urine color.
- Looking for other symptoms.
Which type of thermometer is most accurate?
Digital thermometers are the most accurate way to take body temperature. There are many types, including oral, rectal, and forehead, plus many that are multifunctional. Once you decide on the type of thermometer you want, you can think about design, extra features, and price.
Which metal is used in thermometer?
Why is mercury used in thermometers despite being the poorest conductor of heat? Most metals are good conductors of heat and they are solids at room temperature. Mercury is the only one in liquid state at room temperature. It’s used in thermometers because it has high coefficient of expansion.
Which material is used in laboratory thermometer?
Mercury is the material used in laboratory thermometer. So it is very easy for us to read the temperature accurately. Mercury is a good conductor of heat and does not stick to the glass it moves in the thermometer at ease. To measure high temperatures we need Laboratory thermometers.
Why can’t we use a laboratory thermometer to measure body temperature?
A laboratory thermometer cannot be used to measure the human body temperature. This is because as soon as we take out the bulb of the laboratory thermometer from our mouth, the level of mercury in its tube will start falling quickly. This will give a wrong value of the body temperature.
What is range of normal body temp?
The average normal body temperature is generally accepted as 98.6°F (37°C). Some studies have shown that the “normal” body temperature can have a wide range, from 97°F (36.1°C) to 99°F (37.2°C).
What are the 4 types of temperature?
The Four Types of Temperature Scales
- Fahrenheit Scale. ••• The Fahrenheit scale of temperature is the common form of temperature measurement used in the United States and some parts of the Caribbean.
- Celsius Scale. •••
- Kelvin Scale. •••
- Rankine Scale. •••
What are the two types of temperature?
Temperature Scales. There are three temperature scales in use today, Fahrenheit, Celsius and Kelvin. Fahrenheit temperature scale is a scale based on 32 for the freezing point of water and 212 for the boiling point of water, the interval between the two being divided into 180 parts.